- Purchase CustomKeys or KidKeys from the Apple App Store
- Visit http://customkeysapp.com and download the CustomKeys Server for Mac or PC
- Start the CustomKeys Server on your computer. Select a password to make sure only your copy of CustomKeys can send keystrokes to your computer. In most cases the default port number of 8080 will work fine. If you need to you can change this to another port number like 8888.
- Start the CustomKeys or KidKeys app on your iPad.
- Tap the "Options" button in the top right corner.
- Enter the IP address of your computer, the password you entered in the Server software and make sure the port numbers match. If you don't know your computer's IP address you can easily find it:
- For Mac: Click the "Apple" logo in the top left corner of the screen and select "System Utilities". Choose "Networking" and click on your Mac's network adapter or wireless network adapter to view its IP address.
- For PC: Click on the "Start Menu" and choose "run" or search for "cmd". Run the "cmd" program which starts a command prompt. Type "ipconfig" and press Enter. Your network adapters will be listed. Look for lines labeled "IP Address".
- Select a key template in CustomKeys and launch a program on your computer. CustomKeys will now send key commands from your iPad to your computer.
Are you still having trouble? Have a suggestion for how we can improve CustomKeys? Fill out the contact form below and we'll get back to you soon.